Bikepacking Against the Machine
Bikepacking Against the Machine with Surly
When: September 14-16, 2018
Where: Near Nathrop, Colorado
We're closing this shop for one of our favorite annual events: bikepacking with Surly!
We'll release more details about this trip soon, but for now expect a very mellow, railroad-grade ride. Some of us will ride about 20 miles up to the campsite on Friday the 14th (here's the route), ride the Alpine Tunnel Loop on Saturday the 15th, and ride back to the car on Sunday. If you can't join us on Friday, you're welcome to ride up and join us on Saturday. Yeah bikes!
Bikepacking Against the Machine FAQ
Will there be a Dangle Contest?
Where should I park my car?
There's a parking lot here.
Where’s the campsite?
We’re shooting for this one, but availability might force a last-minute change.
What if I can't take Friday off work?
You can ride up to the campsite late on Friday, or you can ride up Saturday. We'll be camping in the same spot two nights in a row, so join us for as much or as little as you like.
What if I don't want to ride the Alpine Tunnel Loop on Saturday?
You don't have to. If you plan to bikepack on something other than a mountain bike, then we'd recommend touring some of the marvelous dirt roads that are up there instead. We'll try to get a suggested alternate route posted soon.
Will it be cold?
It sure could be. As of now, the forecast shows a low of about 50 degrees, but we'll be at about 10,000 feet in September.
Will there be Surly bikes available to demo?
Yes! If you want to use a demo bike for the weekend, here are how it works:
1. Let Yawp! know your bike and size of preference by 6pm on the 4th of September.
2. You must retrieve the bike from Yawp! Cyclery between 5-7pm on Thursday, September 13th.
3. You are responsible for transporting the bike to and from the trailhead.
4. The bike will be your responsibility for the duration of the trip.
5. You'll need to return the bike to Yawp! Cyclery on Tuesday, September the 18th or Wednesday, September the 19th between 10am and 7pm.
6. If you break something, please be prepared to replace it.
7. To check out a demo bike, you'll need to have a valid ID and credit card with you. (Demos are free).
Are we going to visit Mount Princeton Hot Springs after the ride on Sunday?
Hope to see you there.